Friday, October 12, 2007

Beyond Rocky Mountains And Country Roads: Remembering John Denver

I wasn't particularly fond of country music as a kid in the 80s, but in most times when I would drop by an uncle's house, he would either be:

1) Playing an LP with "Country road, take me home, to the place, I belong..."
2) Talk about John Denver.
3) Talk about Kenny Rogers.

It kind of bored me out since I rather subscribed to watching Loony toons and all its craziness. Wholesome country music didn't excite me, but no matter.

"When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things." – 1 Corinthians 13:11

Today marks exactly the 10th anniversary of the death of John Denver, the great country singer who left us in an air crash. Perhaps calling Mr. Denver a country singer is inadequate, for as I listen to him these days and as an adult, he need not deliberately have to sing with a typical mid-western twang. Beyond rocky mountains and country roads are the extraordinary songs that strike internally, at the heart of relationships, a deep love and humanitarian compassion.

Since you're reading this and if it's been a long time since you last listened to John, allow me to share with you...

1) Annie's Song



2) My Sweet Lady



3) I'm Sorry



A most interesting reason for me to write this post is to have you listen to this song, and its title says it all:

4) I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free



Happy Listening!

No comments: