Monday, August 27, 2007

Know Your End Result

Can you imagine what the world would be like if there were no dreams, no end results people worked for?

We would have no growth. Period. In fact, we'd have stagnation and regression.

Knowing your end result is all about having a vision, a destination that you have solidified in your mind, and are continually working towards.

Many of today's successes started out as visionaries, starting out with little or nothing, and creating an empire from scratch, this is what knowing your end result can do for you.

Now, your end result doesn't need to be grandiose, it can simply be that you want to be able to replace your income, and to be honest, if you've never built your own business, that is where you should start.

Replacing your income is where freedom starts, because it gives you the choice to start doing what you want with your time.

But you need to be very clear, and very careful at the same time, about how you picture yourself in that end result. Whenever you do this, you need to see this as though you've already done it, or already have it, and be 100% certain that it is exactly as you want.

It can be eerie how accurate that image becomes a reality.

To give you an example, when a sculptor starts with a slab of stone, they don't just start chipping away at bits and pieces here and there, or smashing pieces away in the hope that it ends up looking like 'something nice', they have a very specific image of what they are sculpting, and almost to the finest detail, the picture they have in their mind, will be recreated into life.

It sounds insane for a sculptor to start with no end in mind, but why is it no different to you or your life, or where you want to be? If you don't know what you are heading towards, then how do you know that you've got there? Would you leave your home today and just drive 'somewhere', of course not, you'd know exactly where you are going, and if you didn't, you'd use a map or ask directions.

Now, the way I do this is a little different, I view my life as one great orchestration that I design. So I don't just do a 5-year plan or 10-year plan, I have a life plan. What this means is, when my life is over (as morbid as it sounds, death is a reality that we all have to accept some day) here is exactly how I want it to look, so I can look back over my life and have zero regret.

That is one of my only fears, that one day I will regret my life, it is one of the forces that drives me.

Once I've designed my life plan, it's very simple to work back to my 40-year, 10-year, 5-year and 1-year goals, and then break it down further into action items related to monthly, weekly and daily activities.

The cold hard reality, is that we cannot do everything in this world in a single lifetime, so choosing what we want to do is of great importance, and replacing your income or getting your finances simply allows you to design your life how you want it to really be.

No comments: